Archive

Posts Tagged ‘Student Advocacy Committee’

Student Advocacy Committee Meeting Minutes: January 24, 2011

January 24, 2011 Leave a comment

Florida International University • Student Government Association • Modesto A. Maidique Campus
STUDENT ADVOCACY COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
January 24th, 2011

I. Welcome and Call to Order at 3:20 P.M.
II. Roll Call

1. Amanda Jimenez- Excused

2. Carlos Rodriguez- Present

3. Janet Reyes- Present

4. Odette Barrientos- Excused

5. Samir Patel- Present

6. Patrick O’Keefe- Present

III. General Discussion

A. Governing Councils

1. RHA Constitution- Needs to be approved by RHA E-board and General council (Carlos).
2. SPC Constitution- Will be sent to RLJC for approval to be put on next week’s agenda (Patrick).
3. BSU Constitution- No updates
4. HC Constitution- In consistent contact with them, will get back in touch (Janet).

B. Senate Requirements

1. Went over them with William last week, many Senators did not do their reports or surveys. IAC will handle that situation. The surveys had little to no usable data besides required questions (Patrick).

C. Senator Initiatives

1. Talked to Dean to talk to faculty Senate about cheating and they are looking into methods to help. Emergency lights on Engineering Center actually work now (Janet).
2. Talked to Dean about helping them with FAQ videos and they are working on advising.
Improved advising by 3 fold over the last year (Patrick).

IV. New Business

A. None

V. Meeting Adjourned at 3:44

 

Council Bill SR 1177: To approve the Student Programming Council Constitution

January 24, 2011 6 comments
Agenda Item: SR 1177 – To approve the Student Programming Council Constitution
Date: January 10, 2011
Committee: Student Advocacy
Sponsors: Patrick O’Keefe, Lower Division Senator; Carlos Rodriguez, Housing Senator; Janet Reyes, College of Engineering and Computing Senator; Samir Patel, College of Education Senator, Amanda Jimenez, Lower Division Senator;

Text

Status

  • Read once, SPC EBoard will present before the Senate at the next meeting. Tabled.

Final Vote

  • In favor: ; Opposed: ; Abstentions: ;

Student Advocacy Committee Meeting Minutes: October 14, 2010

October 14, 2010 Leave a comment

Florida International University • Student Government Association • Modesto A. Maidique Campus
STUDENT ADVOCACY COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
October 14, 2010

I. Welcome and Call to Order at 4:20
II. Roll Call

1. Amanda Jimenez- Excused
2. Carlos Rodriguez- Present
3. Janet Reyes- Present
4. Odette Barrientos- Excused
5. Samir Patel- Present
6. Patrick O’Keefe- Present

III. General Discussion
A. Governing Councils

1. Carlos will e-mail RHA’s minutes
2. Need governing councils to submit roll calls from now on

B. Senate Requirements

1. Need to be modified to put specific dates on reports
2. The statutes need to be modified to spell out that survey results, and other Senate requirements dealing with Student Advocacy must be spelled out in Section 5.07(c)

C. Senators Initiatives

1. Clean and Safe- Meeting is being set-up with Assistant Director of Facilities. (Patrick and Macarena).
2. Safety Issues in Engineering Center- One safety button and not sure if it works. Someone destroyed equipment in Engineering Center (Janet).

3. Fingerprinting- At the beginning of the semesters, all Education majors need to be fingerprinted, so working to get buses downtown and group fingerprinting for the new students entering the College of Education (Samir).

D. Student Issues

1. Student brought up an issue about not having affordable drinking water at the last FIU football game in the afternoon. Potentially talk to FIU Athletics about putting water fountains in the stadium. Patrick and Carlos will be talking to Athletics.

IV. New Business

A. Vote to make the two deadlines for reports due to SAC October 31st and December 10th

1. Carlos Rodriguez- Yes
2. Janet Reyes- Yes
3. Samir Patel- Yes
Yes- 3 No- 0 Abstain- 0

B. Vote to make the results and data from surveys submitted to SAC and SAC will make a report at the end of each semester on the survey results.

1. Carlos Rodriguez-Yes
2. Janet Reyes- Yes
3. Samir Patel- Yes
Yes- 3 No- 0 Abstain- 0

V. Meeting Adjourned at 5:06

Student Advocacy Committee Meeting Minutes: October 14, 2010

October 11, 2010 Leave a comment

Florida International University • Student Government Association • Modesto A. Maidique Campus

STUDENT ADVOCACY COMMITTEE

MEETING MINUTES
October 14, 2010

I. Welcome and Call to Order at 4:20

II. Roll Call

1. Amanda Jimenez- Excused

2. Carlos Rodriguez- Present

3. Janet Reyes- Present

4. Odette Barrientos- Excused

5. Samir Patel- Present

6. Patrick O’Keefe- Present

III. General Discussion

A. Governing Councils

1. Carlos will e-mail RHA’s minutes

2. Need governing councils to submit roll calls from now on

B. Senate Requirements

1 . Need to be modified to put specific dates on reports

2 . The statutes need to be modified to spell out that survey results, and other Senaterequirements dealing with Student Advocacy must be spelled out in Section 5.07(c)

C. Senators Initiatives

1. Clean and Safe- Meeting is being set-up with Assistant Director of Facilities. (Patrick andMacarena).

2. Safety Issues in Engineering Center- One safety button and not sure if it works. Someone destroyed equipment in Engineering Center (Janet).

3. Fingerprinting- At the beginning of the semesters, all Education majors need to befingerprinted, so working to get buses downtown and group fingerprinting for the new studentsentering the College of Education (Samir).

D. Student Issues

1. Student brought up an issue about not having affordable drinking water at the last FIU footballgame in the afternoon. Potentially talk to FIU Athletics about putting water fountains in the stadium. Patrick and Carlos will be talking to Athletics.

IV. New Business

A. Vote to make the two deadlines for reports due to SAC October 31st and December 10th

1. Carlos Rodriguez- Yes
2. Janet Reyes- Yes
3. Samir Patel- Yes
No- 0 Yes- 3

B. Vote to make the results and data from surveys submitted to SAC and SAC will
Abstain- 0
make a report at the end of each semester on the survey results.

1. Carlos Rodriguez-Yes
2. Janet Reyes- Yes
3. Samir Patel- Yes
Yes- 3 No- 0 Abstain- 0

V. Meeting Adjourned at 5:06

Student Advocacy Committee Meeting Minutes: September 30, 2010

September 30, 2010 Leave a comment

Florida International University • Student Government Association • Modesto A. Maidique Campus
STUDENT ADVOCACY COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
September 30, 2010

I. Welcome and Call to Order at 3:55
II. Roll Call

a. Amanda Jimenez

b. Patrick O’Keefe

c. Samir Patel

d. Carlos Rodriguez

III. General Discussion

A. Governing Councils

i. Samir emailed SPC and got reply. He spoke to their secretary.

ii. Carlos spoke to Ed briefly about RHA

iii. Amanda is waiting for reply from BSU

iv. Patrick emailed CSO waiting for reply

B.Senate Requirements

i. Everyone must turn in 2 reports per semester due on October 15 and December 10. First report must include 2 dean meetings, some information on surveys, and attendance for SAC meetings

C.Senators Initiatives

i. Clean and Safe- Macarena and Patrick

ii. Housing- Housing decals are being stolen

iii. Patrick met with Dean Robertson- Admissions and undergrad education-special program to raise admissions

IV. New Business

A.Senate Bills

i. Block Tuition

a. Waiting on more information before moving forward

ii. IFC at Orientation

V. Meeting Adjourned at 4:55

 

Student Advocacy Committee Meeting Minutes: September 23, 2010

September 23, 2010 Leave a comment

Florida International University • Student Government Association • Modesto A. Maidique Campus
STUDENT ADVOCACY COMMITTEE
MEETING MINUTES
September 23, 2010

I. Welcome & Call to Order at 3:54

II. Roll Call

a. Amanda Jimenez

b. Patrick O’Keefe

c. Samir Patel

d. Carlos Rodriguez

III. General Discussion

a. New statutes are being updated by William and Hector

1. Article F of Section 5.07 of the Statutes is being removed, while Article E is being kept and updated

b. Governing Council Assignments

1. Amanda Jimenez- BSU/Homecoming

2. Patrick O’Keefe- CSO

3. Samir Patel- SPC/Homecoming

4. Carlos Rodriguez-RHA

c. Senate Requirements

1. 100 surveys and 4 dean meetings must be completed by the end of the semester for each senator

d. Student Concerns

1. Price of Housing

2. Hours of Food Establishments on Campus

3. Safety and Appearance issues throughout campus

IV. New Business

a. In Opposition to the “Block Tuition Pricing Structure”

1. Resolution will be brought before the Senate on September 27th on behalf of the SAC

V. Announcements

a. Senators O’Keefe and Macarena Jimenez will be working on a Clean and Safe Campus Initiative to improve many things on campus

VI. Meeting adjourned at 4:37